If you are looking for French-Canadian research, there are plenty of resources available to help you out; including, a Genealogy at a Glance: French-Canadian Research. However, there are precious few book on researching one’s French ancestors, as in, from France. This makes Genealogy at a Glance: French Genealogy Research, that much more important as a tool to researchers. According to this guide’s “Quick Facts”:
- 8.3 million Americans (about 3% of the population in 2000) claim French ancestry
- 2.4 million American (or just shy of 1% in 2000) claimed French-Canadian or Acadian ancestry
- The majority claiming French ancestry reside in Louisiana, New England, and the Midwest
French Genealogy Research was put together by Claire Bettag, CG, CGL. Like all the Genealogy At A Glance sheets, this guide is a four-page, full-color limited brochure meant to be easily stored and sized to take with you when conducting related research.
This guide is packed with information to help family historians discover their immigrant ancestors, locate their ancestor’s town of origin, and other key historical points. Discussion cover important resource types and locations; including printed and online resources. Additional tips and “further references” provide reader interest and added research value.
Like each At A Glance, the top of the first page provides Contents and Quick Facts. The Contents of this sheet include:
- Major Periods of French Immigration
- Who Were the Immigrants
- Emigration/Immigration Records
Unlocking French Family History
- Pinpointing the Town of Origin
- Family Names
Major Record Sources
- Parish Registers, 16th century–1792
- Civil Registrations, 1792–present
- Notarial Records, 16th century–present
Other Records includes subsections for land records, military records, municipal/communal archives, departmental archives, archives in Paris, national archives, and the Family History Library.
Find the help you need, and carry it with you, with your own copy of Genealogy At A Glance: French Genealogy Research available at Family Roots Publishing; Item #: GPC479, Price: $8.77