A year in the planning, the new Genealogical Research in Nebraska is now available. The book was introduced with great success at the National Genealogical Society Conference in Charleston, South Carolina. It was written by Ruby Coleman specifically for genealogists who have ancestors or relatives who may have settled in Nebraska.
As with researching in any area, the challenge for researching in Nebraska is to locate as many of the records as possible. There are many repositories where these records are found. Like many other states, Nebraska’s record keeping is somewhat unique, but very useful to the genealogist. Many records are available to document one’s Nebraska family, whether they settled and stayed, or moved on after a few years. Ruby’s book will help you find those records.
Heavily illustrated with photos and documents, this volume may give the researcher clues as to records that may be available that they hadn’t even considered.
The following chapters make up the book:
- Nebraska Settlement
- Colonization and Development by Railroad
- Nebraska Court System and Records
- Nebraska Vital Records
- Probate, Guardianships and Adoptions
- Land Records
- Naturalization Records
- Civil and Criminal Court Records
- County Histories
- Territorial, Federal and State Censuses
- Military Records
- Schools and Records
- Institutional Records
- Nebraska Railroads
- Nebraska Ethnic Groups
- Religious Records
- Orphan Trains
- Cattle Brands
- Societies, Repositories and Libraries
- Genealogical Collections in Nebraska Libraries and Repositories
- Nebraska State Censuses & Substitutes 1854-1976
- Maps Showing Nebraska County Boundary Changes
- Nebraska County Records – Alphabetical by county
- Suggested Internet Web Pages
- Suggested Reading
About the Author:
Ruby Coleman, of Nebraska, has been actively involved in researching genealogy for over 40 years and has been a professional genealogist for over 25 years. She is an instructor of seminars and classes, as well as a lecturer and free-lance writer. Her expertise is in Nebraska and the plains states genealogy, history, and research.
Genealogical Research in Nebraska; by Ruby Coleman; May 2011; 108 pp, plus vi; Soft Cover; ISBN: 9781933194738; Item # FR0117