An excellent article about the cemetery located at the former Toledo State Hospital is found in the April 19, 2009 edition of the Toledo Blade. Following is a teaser:
This land, owned by the University of Toledo and site of its Medical Center (the former Medical College of Ohio), was once home to thousands who lived at the Toledo State Hospital. It was the Toledo Asylum for the Insane when it opened in 1888. Between then and 1973, nearly 2,000 people, unclaimed by families or friends, were laid to rest in two locations, one adjacent to a pig barn.
Their anonymity in death reflects their status in life on society’s bottom rung. Interments did not warrant polished granite slabs heralding their dates and earthly contributions (“Beloved Mother, Wife, Daughter, Teacher”). Rather, in institutional style, each grave was assigned a numbered concrete stone pushed in the ground. After all, who would come to meditate? Grave blankets in winter? Memorial Day bouquets? Unlikely.
Indeed, recent efforts to find these index-card-sized concrete nubbins by probing the ground with metal rods have been thwarted because most have sunk below the surface or are altogether gone.
The time is nigh, say a determined group of people, to acknowledge the humanity of these 1,994 women, children, and men.
Read the full article by Tahree Lane in the April 19, 2009 edition of the Toledo Blade.