I got copies of the new Tracing Your Ancestors: DNA & Your Genealogy over a month ago, but have been so busy I’ve not had time to review the book until now. Published in a saddle-stapled format by Moorshead Magazines, this 66-page guide to DNA research is the one of the most readable and easy-to-understand of all the DNA-related guides that I’ve seen. When I finally got some time to read, I found that I read the entire publication, and understood most of what I was reading! Which is saying something… DNA has become key to our research, and whether we like it or not, we’d better all get on board with it, as it’s become the key to unlock brick walls that we may have thought we’d never overcome.
Written by Dr. Maurice Gleeson MB, the book is written about the science – for those of use who thought we’d just stick with the humanities! I can’t recommend a guide more – especially if you are just getting into using DNA in your research. The guide is inexpensive, while giving you the knowledge that you need to be off and running with your DNA genealogy research. Dr. Gleeson was born in Dublin where he trained as a medical doctor. He is currently a psychiatrist, a pharmaceutical physician, a part-time actor and a genetic genealogist. That said, he’s also a great writer!
This 66-page DNA guide is the most easy-to understand DNA Guide published to date. Heavily illustrated, this guide is for the rest of us!
FRPC is offering this guide at 20% off – making it just $7.96 – as a Valentine’s Day Special. The sale price is good through Friday, Feb. 16, 2018. Buy it at 30% off by purchasing as a bundle with Moorshead’s Organizing and Travel publications during the same sale period.
The following is from the Table of Contents:
- What’s in you closet?
- Why turn to DNA?
- What Companies offer DNA tests?
- What can you get from a DNA test?
- The three main DNA tests (and what they can do for you)
- Which DNA test is best for me?
Some Basic Science
- A closer look at chromosomes
- The two different types of DNA Marker
- The Human Evolutionary Tree
Y-DNA – Tracing Your Direct Male Line
- The types of Y-DNA test
- Understanding your Y-DNA results
- Your Place on the Tree of Mankind
- Why join a Surname Project
- Anatomy of a Surname Project
- Further study & resources
Mitochondrial DNA- Tracing Your Direct Female Line
- Some more basic science
- Applying mtDNA to your genealogy
Autosomal DNA – Some More Basic Science
- What is asDNA?
- The mechanics of atDNA transmission and inheritance
- Recombination (Crossing Over) – shuffling the pack
- Independent Assortment – random sorting of chromosomes
- How much DNA do I share with my relatives?
- Genetic Population Admixture Estimates (“ethnic makeup”)
Autosomal DNA – connecting with Genetic Cousins
- Secrets of Success
- Analyzing Autosomal DNA Matches
- Step 1 – Where does the common ancestor sit on your tree?
- Step 2 – Is the common ancestor obvious?
- Step 3 – Generating a shortlist of possible candidates
- Step 3.1 – Maternal or Paternal ancestor?
- Step 3.2 – A match on the X?
- Step 3.3 – Eliminating lines of unlikely ethnicity or nationality
- Step 3.4 – Using phasing to eliminate ancestral lines
- Step 3.5 – Other techniques to eliminate non-contenders
- Step 4 – Working with Triangulation
- Triangulation with 23andMe
- Triangulation with FTDNA
- Triangulation with Ancestry
- Triangulation in practice
Using DNA to Help Adoptees
Additional Online Information
Click on the following link to order:
Tracing Your Ancestors – DNA & Your Genealogy; by Dr. Maurice Gleeson MB; 2018; 66 pp; Soft Cover, Saddle Stapled; ISBN: 978-1-926510-08-8; Item #: MM028 FRPC is offering this guide at 20% off – making it just $7.96 – as a Valentine’s Special. The sale price is good through Friday, Feb. 16, 2018. Buy it at 30% off by purchasing as a bundle with Moorshead’s Organizing and Travel publications during the same sale period.