Three NEW DNA Quick Guides by Diahan Southard are now available. They are:
NEXT STEPS: WORKING WITH YOUR AUTOSOMAL DNA MATCHES
ORGANIZING YOUR DNA MATCHES: A COMPANION GUIDE
GEDMATCH: A NEXT STEP FOR YOUR AUTOSOMAL DNA TEST
If you’ve gotten any of Diahan Southard’s DNA guides in the past, you already know just how valuable they are. You may have even purchased the bundle of 6 of Diahan’s guides that FRPC offered on sale a while back. Well, Diahan now has three new ones with detailed new information. Each of the three guides may be purchased separately, or as a bundle of three. During the promotional sale period, the bundle is 15% off (Reg. 26.85 – on sale for $22.82, plus $4.50 p&h). The individual laminate guides may be purchased for 10% off ($8.06 each, plus $4.50 p&h for the first laminate, and 50 cents for each thereafter). We’ve again put all of Diahan’s guides, including the bundle of six, on sale for 15% off on bundles, and 10% off on individual guides. Click on the links to order.
Following are descriptions of each of the new DNA guides:
NEXT STEPS: WORKING WITH YOUR AUTOSOMAL DNA MATCHES; by Diahan Southard (who worked for Sorenson Molecular); 4 pp; 8.5×11; Full Color, laminated; Published: 2016; Item # LU21
Many genealogists have heard about the power of DNA testing in genealogy and have dabbled in their own DNA test results. This guide outlines what to do next to maximize the power of DNA testing in genealogy. This guide provides instruction on:
- How to leverage the power of known relatives who have tested
- Gain a basic understanding of chromosome browsers and their role in the search process
- Access to a free bonus template for evaluating the genealogical relationship of a match in relationship to the predicted genetic relationship
- A methodology for converting the unknown relatives on the match list into known relatives
With this guide in hand, genealogists will be prepared to take their DNA testing experience to the next level and make new discoveries about their ancestors and heritage.
ORGANIZING YOUR DNA MATCHES: A COMPANION GUIDE; by Diahan Southard (who worked for Sorenson Molecular); 4 pp; 8.5×11; Full Color, laminated; Published: 2016; Item # LU22
With over 2.5 million people in the possession of a DNA test, and most with match lists in the thousands, many are wondering how to keep track of all this data and apply it to their family history. This guide provides the foundation for managing DNA matches and correspondence, and will help budding genetic genealogists:
- Centralize their point of contact with their matches from multiple testing companies
- Familiarize them with Google Forms for tracking information, including providing a link to a free bonus form template
- Provide a brief overview of how to use the power of Google Earth in their genetic genealogy
- Provide an introduction to spreadsheets
- Review valuable third party tools and their contributions to the organizing effort
GEDMATCH: A NEXT STEP FOR YOUR AUTOSOMAL DNA TEST; by Diahan Southard (who worked for Sorenson Molecular); 4 pp; 8.5×11; Full Color, laminated; Published: 2016; Item # LU23
Gedmatch is a third‐party tool for use by genetic genealogists seeking to advance their knowledge of their autosomal DNA test. You can upload your DNA results from any major genetic genealogy testing company into Gedmatch for free. Turn to this quick guide for answers to these common questions:
- What is Gedmatch?
- Who can participate?
- What do I have to do to join?
- What kinds of tools do they offer?
- Can it help with my ethnicity results?
- Will I find new matches?
- Is this a necessary tool?
This guide will navigate through the myriad of options and point out only the best tools for your genetic genealogy research.
The following previously published DNA Guides by Diahan Southard are also available – at 10% off each, or as a bundle at 15% off (see explanation above):
- Understanding AncestryDNA, by Diahan Southard
- Understanding Family Tree DNA, by Diahan Southard
- Getting Started: Genetics for the Genealogist, by Diahan Southard
- Autosomal DNA for the Genealogist, by Diahan Southard
- Mitochondrial DNA for the Genealogist, by Diahan Southard
- Y Chromosome DNA for the Genealogist, by Diahan Southard