SALT LAKE CITY – FamilySearch recently released a newly redesigned indexing website at FamilySearch.org/indexing, and we invite you to come and take a look. This new website integrates indexing with the rest of FamilySearch.org, making it easier for indexers to know how to get started and find the help they need.
FamilySearch indexing is the volunteer program that has already generated more than a billion freely searchable names on FamilySearch.org. Changes to the indexing program over time have greatly increased the number of records that FamilySearch is able to publish. Projects that used to take years to index can now be completed in a matter of months, and as the indexing program improves, the availability of searchable records will only accelerate.
Come and explore what’s new:
- Getting started with indexing just got easier. With an easy-to-navigate Overview page and an all-new Get Started page, the new website is the perfect introduction to indexing.
- Looking for more indexing help? Check out the completely redesigned resource guide. Now called Help Resources, this page guides you to the help you need.
- Find projects you want faster. In the old indexing website, you had to scroll through over 200 projects, now you can click on an interactive map and filter the project list based on language and country.
The change in the indexing website is just the first step in a total redesign and improvement of the indexing experience. The coming year will see the all-new indexing program become more integrated with FamilySearch.org, bringing indexing to your Internet browser, enabling indexing on tablet devices, and much more.
Join us at RootsTech in February to learn more about what’s coming. Visit the FamilySearch indexing booth in the exhibit hall, which is free and open to the public, to get a hands-on experience with the new indexing program, or attend the session “Introducing the new FamilySearch indexing tool.”
Why you should get involved with FamilySearch indexing?
Indexing is great for:
- Beginners to family history. Anyone can index. And indexing can be a stepping stone, giving you a great experience with family history while teaching you about the types of records that can be found as you research your ancestors.
- Experienced genealogists. If you are more experienced, you already know the great value of indexes and searchable online records. Indexing gives you great satisfaction as you help bring even more records online for your own research needs and for the entire genealogy community.
Come and see what everyone is talking about; visit the FamilySearch indexing website today!