“Locating the names of our female ancestors can be difficult – principally because their names changed upon marrying. Women historically have not produced as many records as their husbands, since women’s suffrage largely did not exist until the twentieth century. This adds to the difficulty of finding their names, let alone the details of their lives. There are two major search areas that we deal with in locating women’s names, the first being the search for their maiden names, and secondly, the search for their married names. One search can be as hard as the other, and you may find you are doing both types of searches on the same women.”
Chasing Women: Finding Your Female Ancestors, a webinar on CD present by Leland Meitzler, examines potential sources of data, from the obvious to the less-often-considered options. Topic areas covered include:
- Marriage applications, indexes, consents, and registers
- Bible records
- Federal, state, and territorial censuses
- Probate and funeral home records
- War records (mention of War of 1812 and Civil War pension records)
- Use of middle names
- and much more…
Web seminars, or “Webinars,” have quickly become one of the most popular ways for professionals and companies to share information with large groups of individuals from across the country, or even around the world, without the high cost of travel. Webinars are just like seminars. A large group of “attendees” can come and watch a presentation at a given time. Webinars are nice, since they are usually recorded and can be watched again at a later time. The only real downside to webinars is the video stream can be slow for some people. Depending in large part on the viewer’s own personal Internet connection speed, video may or may not play well. The age of a person’s computer may also contribute to slow playback. To counter these playback problems, some individuals and companies offer the option to buy their webinars on CD. CD’s offer the opportunity to play these webinars on almost any computer at anytime, without the worry of connection issues.
Chasing Women: Finding Your Female Ancestors was originally presented on 16 February 2011 and runs 1 hour 21 minutes. The presentation CD includes a link to a four-page handout. An active Internet connection is needed to download the handout.
About Leland Meitzler:
Leland K. Meitzler founded Heritage Quest in 1985, and has worked as Managing Editor of both Heritage Quest Magazine and The Genealogical Helper. He currently operates Family Roots Publishing Company, writes daily at GenealogyBlog.com, writes the weekly Genealogy Newsline, conducts the annual Salt Lake Christmas Tour, and speaks nationally, having given over 2000 lectures since 1983.
Viewer comments about this presentation:
- Leland’s info gave me a few more options in finding my historical ladies. This may just pull my ox out of the ditch.
- There was a lot of good information. I can hardly wait to try it out.
- Learned a few new tips and it was nice to get a refresher on old ones. I really liked hearing about the German Parrish Registries, that’s going to be very helpful!
- Leland was terrific! Informative, entertaining, and enjoyable.
- Great info; could hear the passion in Leland’s voice
- Enjoyed the many hints and can’t wait to try out a few. Have enjoyed Leland’s work with Heritage Quest and Gen. Helper in the past.
- I like having all of these sources in one place. When I finish checking one, I can just move to the next source. It will give some order to my research.
- I got so much info from the class. Can’t wait to go searching with all the new ideas I just learned. Thanks so much for offering this webinar. I would be very interested in any other webinars that Leland gives.
- The information shared was excellent. The pace was good and I like the opportunity for Q&A at the end. I also like the ability to download his handouts. This is the first Legacy webinar I have attended. I hope to come to more.
- Great ideas, I think I can now break a brickwall that is twenty years old!
- This webinar certainly opened my eyes to the importance of using records that I have not tried before.
- Soooo much good information of places to look. I’m encouraged! Thank you.
- Excellent review for those who have been researching a long time. Also, a great guide for newcomers.
- Leland was fantastic…he has given me so many more options for finding my female ancestors…I can hardly wait to get started. I especially found the German Parish Records information very helpful as I had hit a brick wall on many of them, now I have something to go on…thank you for these webinars.
- A LOT of great information! I have renewed energy now to find a few of my female in-laws!
Get your own copy of Chasing Women: Finding Your Female Ancestors from Family Roots Publishing; Price: $9.95. Enjoy the presentation again and again on your own computer.