The following is from the Texas State Genealogical Society:
Deadline for Submissions: May 15, 2016
11 March 2016 — Austin, Texas The Texas State Genealogical Society (TxSGS) announces a Call for Presentations for their 2016 Family History Conference. This year’s conference will be held 28-30 October 2016, in Dallas, Texas. The deadline for proposals is May 15, 2016.
About the Proposals
We are looking for dynamic, enthusiastic presenters! If you feel passionate about your area of expertise and would like to teach and inspire other genealogists, this is the venue for you. Seasoned speakers and speakers new to the genealogical lecturing arena are encouraged to submit presentations.
The areas of interest may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Basic genealogical topics (How-To, or Getting Started)
- Methodology and problem-solving techniques
- Ethnic research topics (African-American, German-Texan, Czech-Texan, etc.)
- Adoptee challenges
- Researching in record groups (land records, probate records, etc.)
- Texas- and Southern-focused research
Presenters may submit proposals for as many as five lectures.
Presentations should be one hour in length. This includes any question-and-answer period the presenter may want to allow. Please send proposals in the following formats: Microsoft Word, pdf, or rich text format (rtf). File names should include your last name and title of lecture (example: Smith – Understanding DNA Results).
Presenters should send a genealogical résumé or biography in addition to your proposals. Please include any prior speaking experience. Be sure to submit the following information for each lecture you propose:
- Your full name
- Contact information (mailing address, email address and phone number)
- A lecture outline or summary (not more than one page)
- Audio-visual requirements (projector, screen, etc.)
- Target audience (beginner, intermediate, advanced, professional)
Email your individual proposals as file attachments to the TxSGS 2016 Conference Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send one proposal per email. Proposals must be received no later than May 15, 2016.
Selected presenters will also be required to provide the following information and materials for advertising purposes and for the syllabus:
- Biography (about 150 words)
- Camera-ready handout for each lecture in PDF format (not to exceed 6 pages per lecture)
TxSGS will provide a projector, microphone and stand.
Selected presenters will receive an honorarium of $100 for each one-hour lecture.
Additionally, a $25 bonus per lecture, will be awarded to the those presenters selected for submitting syllabus materials by the syllabus material deadline. All required dates will be outlined in the acceptance letter sent to the selected presenters.
In addition each speaker will also receive a $150 stipend as reimbursement for expenses as well as a free registration to the conference. No other expenses will be provided or reimbursed. Meals that are included as part of the conference registration will be provided, as well as a ticket to the Saturday night banquet.
- May 15, 2016 – Proposals due
- June 19, 2016 – Notifications of acceptance sent out
- September 2, 2016 – Syllabus materials due
If you have questions, please contact the TxSGS 2016 Conference Chair at email@example.com.
Founded in 1960, the Texas State Genealogical Society promotes, assists, develops, and conserves the genealogical and historical resources of Texas.
Contact: Texas State Genealogical Society
Attn: Conference Chair
2028 E. Ben White Blvd. #240-2700
Austin, Texas 78741