It was early in the spring that FRPC last ran a promotion on Lisa Cooke’s The Genealogist’s Google Toolbox. Since it’s nearly fall, we decided to do it again. This time it’s a full 20% off! This is an excellent book, and can be of help to anyone doing online research.
Following is the review (with modified sale information) that I wrote a while back.
I have used Lisa Louise Cooke’s 2011 first edition of The Genealogist’s Google Toolbox regularly in the last several years, and found it extremely helpful. This new edition is even more so. When it comes to tracing your family tree online, you need the right tools to get the job done. In The Genealogist’s Google Toolbox, Lisa helps you stuff your genealogy toolbox with FREE state-of-the-art Internet tools that are built to search, translate, message, and span the globe. You’ll travel outside the genealogy community and straight to the folks who dominate the online world: Google. A lot has changed since the first edition was published in 2011 (see list at the bottom of this post), and it’s all documented step-by-step in this new edition.
FRPC has again made a special purchase of this volume and is making it available for 20% off at the website – now through Wednesday, August 31, 2016. Regularly $25, it’s just $20.00. Get yours today. Click on the links or on the illustration to order.
Following is a list of the chapters found in the volume:
- Introduction, Getting Ready to build Your Family Tree Fast
- Chapter 1: Search Tools
- Chapter 2: Basic & Advanced Search
- Chapter 3: Search Strategies for High-Quality Results
- Chapter 4: Site Search & Resurrecting Websites
- Chapter 5: Image Search
- Chapter 6: Common Surname Searches
- Chapter 7: Google Alerts
- Chapter 8: Gmail
- Chapter 9: Google Books
- Chapter 10: Google News Archive
- Chapter 11: Google scholar
- Chapter 12: Google Patents
- Chapter 13: Google Translate
- Chapter 14: YouTube
- Chapter 15: Google Earth: An Overview
- Chapter 16: Google Earth: Ancestral Homes & Locations
- Chapter 17: Google Earth: Organizing & Sharing
- Chapter 18: Google Earth: Historic Images & Maps
- Chapter 19: Google Earth: Plotting Your Ancestor’s Homestead
- Chapter 20: Google Earth: Adding Family History Content
- Chapter 21: Google Earth: Family History Tour Maps
- Appendix: Find it Quick: The “How To” Index
I love this guidebook, and recommend it to anyone who wants to get more use of the online “tools” available to them. Check out the items that are new, expanded or updated in this edition.
- Google Search: Put an end to fruitless searches forever – UPDATED!
- Searching Common Surnames – NEW!
- Google Alerts: Your personal genealogy research assistant – UPDATED!
- Gmail: Never lose another email – EXPANDED!
- Google Books: The world’s history at your fingertips – UPDATED!
- Google News Archives: Free digitized historic newspapers – UPDATED!
- Google Patents: Research the inventor in your family – NEW!
- Google Scholar: Explore the world’s most scholarly sources – NEW!
- Google Translate: Explore foreign language websites – UPDATED!
- YouTube: Build your own genealogy channel – NEW!
- Google Earth: Rock Your Ancestor’s World – EXPANDED!
The Genealogist’s Google Toolbox, 2nd Edition, Revised & Updated; by Lisa Louise Cooke; 2015, Soft Cover; 203 pp; 8.5×11; ISBN: 9780984522903; Item #LU18